Reuters September 14, 2007 at 2:06 PM EDT
CARACAS — A Venezuelan man who had been declared dead woke up in the morgue in excruciating pain after medical examiners began their autopsy.
Carlos Camejo, 33, was declared dead after a highway accident and taken to the morgue, where examiners began an autopsy only to realize something was amiss when he started bleeding. They quickly sought to stitch up the incision on his face.
“I woke up because the pain was unbearable,” Mr. Camejo said, according to a report on Friday in leading local newspaper El Universal.
His grieving wife turned up at the morgue to identify her husband’s body only to find him moved into a corridor — and alive.
Reuters could not immediately reach hospital officials to confirm the events. But Mr. Camejo showed the newspaper his facial scar and a document ordering the autopsy.
I think I will just stick with chocolate. Have you ever heard of chocolate being recalled because of E. Coli, salmonella, or other nasty bugs?
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A division of Dole Food Co said on Monday it was recalling some bagged salads sold in the United States and Canada because a sample at a Canadian grocery store was found to contain E. coli.
Dole Fresh Vegetables said it has not received any reports that anyone has become sick from eating the products. The recall covers “Dole Hearts Delight” salads sold with a “best if used by” date of September 19.
In recent months, Dole has stepped up its testing and tracking of produce to prevent outbreaks of E. coli such as the one linked to bagged spinach last year that sickened hundreds and killed three.
Several other high-profile food safety scares in the last year have aggravated concerns among consumers and federal health regulators, including an E. coli outbreak linked to Yum! Brands Inc’s Taco Bell restaurants in the U.S. Northeast and a salmonella contamination of Peter Pan peanut butter made by ConAgra Foods Inc that sickened 425 people.
Just last month, California produce grower Metz Fresh LLC said it recalled fresh spinach in grocery stores and food service packages after a sample tested positive for salmonella.
(Reporting by Nichola Groom)
Do you think God has a message for this church?
GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) – Two lightning strikes on the same day didn’t topple the steeple of the 117-year-old Newman United Methodist Church but they exposed something that might have. They blew out the siding and exposed dry rot that might have brought the steeple down.
Scott Stegall of Stewart Restoration Services said most of the steeple will have to be replaced because of the dry rot.
Repairs began last week and should be done in October.
One of the beams was so soft you could poke a finger through it, said Charlene Burgess, the church administrative assistant.
The July 11 lightning strikes broke out windows and damaged the church organ and did other damage totaling about $60,000.
The first bolt went down through the steeple and separated the siding.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, Newman United’s predecessor, was hit by lightning in 1888.